Fuels, Terrain Challenge Firefighters on Lolo Creek Complex
Incident: Lolo Creek Complex Wildfire
Lolo Creek Complex
Information Hotline: 406-273-6831 or 406-273-6384 August 24, 2013 – 8:30 PM
What: Wildland Fire
Started: August 18, 2013
Location: Approximately 8 miles west of Lolo, MT
Jurisdiction: Montana DNRC
Cooperating Agencies: US Forest Service, Montana DNRC
Other Cooperating or Assisting Agencies: American Red Cross, Missoula County Sheriff’s Office, Missoula County Disaster and Emergency Services, Missoula and Ravalli County RFDs, Montana Highway Patrol
Current size: 10,567 acres Containment: 40% Resources on Fire: 770 personnel; 14 Crews; 7 helicopters; 41 engines; 6 dozers; 20 water tenders
US Highway 12 is now open in Montana.
While the Lolo Creek Complex is 40% contained, the remaining 60% which is not contained is steep, rugged and remote terrain with heavy fuels. The weather forecast for continued, dry conditions and the possibility of dry thunderstorms will result in fire spread and continued resistance to control. Today, aggressive suppression efforts using hand crews, heavy equipment, air tankers and helicopters focused on the northern edge of the fire. While fire managers reported progress along uncontained fire lines, significant work remains before those lines are considered secure.
Along the southern perimeter, structure protection and patrol activities continue, as well as patrol of burned areas along the Highway 12 corridor. A night shift of structure patrol will occur again tonight.
The Evacuation Order for all US Highway 12 residents has been lifted and those residents can now return to their homes. This includes all homes accessed by Highway 12. All residents in the highway 12 area and Lolo areas still remain under an evacuation warning.
A reduced speed limit of 45 mph is in effect from milepost 20 to milepost 32 and no stopping or parking alongside the highway is allowed until further notice. Motorists are urged to be alert and watch for heavy fire related traffic. Montana Highway information can be accessed by dialing 511.
Forest Service Area Closure remains in effect.
Prevention Message: All federal, state, and private lands are in Stage 1 fire restrictions. For further fire information, visit www.inciweb.org. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list for fire updates.