Salmon River Complex Fire Information Evacuation Advisory
Incident: Salmon River Complex Wildfire
SALMON RIVER COMPLEX FIRE INFORMATION
Effective 3:30 pm August 7, the Salmon River Complex Incident Commander has requested an Evacuation Advisory be issued by the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office for residents of Sawyers Bar. This notice is for all residents along Sawyers Bar Road between Rattlesnake Gulch and Kelly Gulch. Residents should be prepared to evacuate should fire conditions worsen.
During an evacuation advisory you should begin preparing for a potential evacuation order. Individuals requiring more time to evacuate should consider leaving now. You should also consider removing large animals and large personal items such as motor homes, boats, and heavy equipment.
Prepare Now For Possible Future Evacuations
- Pre-plan. Know what valuables you can remove quickly and take with you. Plan to take medicines and first aid kit; flashlight, radio and batteries; important papers and cash; clothes, bedding, food.
- Find out where you are to go if/when you evacuate and how to get there. Have more than one route.
- Close up the house. Close all windows and doors. Cover all vents if you have time.
- Close heavy drapes and blinds. Remove flimsy curtains and move furniture away from windows.
- Put flammable lawn furniture in the house or garage.
- Turn off the gas or propane. Leave electricity on.
- If you have to leave a vehicle, leave it pointed out with the keys in the ignition.
- Take your small pets with you. Don’t forget pet food. If you have livestock in a cleared pasture, and have not had time to evacuate them, leave them alone. If not in a cleared area, open the gates.
- Keep your driveway clear for fire equipment.
- Leave a note indicating where you went and a phone number where you can be reached.
- Locate and mark hazardous materials, septic tanks, water sources, etc.
- Clean up area around your house.
Special Tips for Disabled and Elderly Persons
- Keep your special medications, with duplicate prescriptions, close by and in a safe place where they can be easily reached. These should be ready to be taken with you in case of evacuation. If required, keep extra bladder bags, catheters and sanitary aids near your medication. A bag, into which you can scoop these items quickly, is helpful.
- Keep near you at all times any auxiliary devices you need to aid in your mobility, for example, a walker, crutches, cane, etc.
- Have extra batteries if you use an electric wheelchair.
- Have a notebook and pencils available in several locations if you have difficulty in communicating. Written messages will be invaluable to anyone assisting you.
- Do not forget pet food, harness and equipment if you have a seeing-eye or hearing dog.
For more information on preparing your home for an evacuation visit the Ready Set Go website: www.ReadyforWildfire.org
An evacuation center has been established by the Red Cross at Etna Union High School, 400 Howell Avenue, Etna. Domestic pets may also be taken to the high school where kennels will be available.
To stay informed on fire conditions please call the Klamath National Forest Fire Information Center at (530) 841-4451 or visit Inciweb at http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3575/.