Air Quality Resources
Incident: Salmon River Complex Wildfire
People with respiratory issues should be especially cautious while wildfires fill local valleys and basins with smoke, but everybody is susceptible to effects from unhealthy air quality. There are a number of services and resources to help cope with the situation.
To help people plan outdoor activities, the Forest Service is working with Siskiyou County Air Quality Management District, Public Health and Office of Emergency Services to deploy additional air quality monitors in the area. There are currently four smoke monitors in Siskiyou County at Yreka, Happy Camp, Ft. Jones and Somes Bar. North Coast Unified Air Quality (NCUAQMD) has monitors in Crescent City, Hoopa, and Gasquet. All provide real-time data via satellite to anyone interested. This information is available at http://app.airsis.com/usfs/fleet.aspx.
Siskiyou County offers a number of resources to support residents and visitors. The county Website at http://www.co.siskiyou.ca.us/default.aspx has a number of useful links and other information. People without Web access can call Air Pollution Specialist, Eric Olson at 530-841-4029 or Assistant Air Pollution Control Officer, Eldon Beck at 530-841-4029 for updates and advice.
The Karuk tribe has been operating a clean air shelter when conditions dictate at their Department of Natural Resources building in Orleans. Call 530-627-3446 to see if the center is open.
Additional Air Quality, Fire and Weather Monitoring Web Resources:
- Siskiyou County Air Pollution Control District: http://www.co.siskiyou.ca.us/AG/apc.aspx
- Interagency Smoke Monitoring (Yreka): http://app.airsis.com/USFS/Chart_new.asp Get=4&UnitID=1014&CustID=11&sDate=7-31-2013
- Evironmental Protection Agency Air Quality Monitoring: http://www.airnow.gov/
- NOAA Hazard mapping System: http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/land/hms.html
- NASA Satellite Imagery: http://earthdata.nasa.gov/data/near-real-time-data/rapid-response
- Intellicast Weather and Lightning: http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Severe/ThunderCast.aspx