Reentry Following Evacuation
Incident: Stuart Creek 2 Wildfire
STUART CREEK 2 FIRE INFORMATION
TIPS FOR RETURNING TO RESIDENCES
The Interagency Management Team, Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Fairbanks North Star Borough and the Alaska State Troopers want you back in your homes and businesses. The fire danger will be constantly evaluated and the evacuation order will be lifted as soon as it is safe for you to return.
Residents should be alert for food and water contamination resulting from possible electric power outages that may have occurred during the evacuations.
- Refrigerated items should be safe as long as power has been out no more than a few hours.
- Each food item should be evaluated separately to determine if it is still safe to eat.
- There may have been periods of time when electric power was not operating in evacuated areas. Residents returning home after the evacuation should keep in mind the following tips regarding food and water safety
- A full, freestanding freezer will stay at freezing temperature for about two days; a half-full freezer about one day.
- Meat, poultry, and dairy products are the most perishable items in a refrigerator or freezer.
- Discard fully cooked food items that have come into contact with raw meat or poultry juices.
- If it is not known whether electricity was lost, or if the duration of the loss of electric power is not known, keep in mind the adage, "when in doubt, throw it out".
- Residents with private wells will need to disinfect their well if an electric power outage has occurred. If it is not known whether a power outage took place, it is best to err on the side of caution and disinfect the well upon returning home.
Contact the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation for information on how to disinfect a private well at
- Limit prolonged outdoor activities in areas experiencing smoke from forest fires.
The elderly, young children and people with asthma, chronic respiratory illness or heart disease may be particularly prone to adverse health effects from heavy smoke.