Lassen National Forest Suspends Woodcutting Effective August 21, 2012
Incident: Reading Wildfire
Forest Suspends Woodcutting Effective August 21, 2012
Release Date: Aug 21, 2012
Susanville, Calif...The Lassen National Forest is suspending all woodcutting activity, effective August 21, 2012, until such time as it is again deemed safe.
This move is in response to the hot, dry weather that has elevated fire danger conditions and led to increased fire activity in and adjacent to the Forest.
"The fire situation in our area is extremely critical," said Lassen National Forest Supervisor Jerry Bird. "By suspending firewood cutting at this time we hope to reduce the potential for additional fire starts. When conditions improve later this year, you will be notified that the suspension order has been lifted."
"I appreciate your understanding and compliance with this order," Bird added.
Visitors are also reminded of the fire restrictions that began on August 1, under which:
- Open fires are not allowed outside of posted, developed campgrounds and recreation sites, even with a campfire permit. Portable stoves and lanterns using gas, pressurized liquid fuel or jellied petroleum may be used outside of developed recreation sites, but a campfire permit, available at all BLM and Forest Service offices, is required.
- Smoking is not allowed, except within developed recreation sites, inside buildings or in enclosed vehicles.
- Motor vehicles must remain on established roads and trails.
- Target shooters may not use tracer, metal jacket, incendiary or exploding ammunition.
For more information on fires, restrictions and closures, please visit the Lassen National Forest website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/lassen/alerts-notices or call the following:
- Supervisor's Office - 530-257-2151
- Almanor Ranger District - 530-258-2141
- Eagle Lake Ranger District - 530-257-4188
- Hat Creek Ranger District - 530-336-5521