Total Containment Increases to 60% - Fires Spans 7,431 Acres
Incident: Cooks Complex Fire Wildfire
Phoenix (July 15, 2012) - Incident commanders on the Cooks Complex fires flew reconnaissance missions Sunday, confirming that the fires burning within the Tonto National Forest north of Phoenix, Arizona, span 7,431 acres.
"We are still seeing hot spots and smoke from the interior of two fires, though the fire perimeters have not grown. Our firefighters have done an excellent job holding and securing our firelines," confirms Incident Commander Trainee Andy Mandell, from Arizona's Central West Zone Type 3 Interagency Incident Management Team. On Sunday, 83 fire personnel continued with full suppression activities while other resources were released to home units or reassigned to other fires. The total combined containment stands at 60% Sunday night.
On Monday, July 16th, the team assigns one hotshot crew, one engine, one helicopter, and medics to patrol the hot spots on the two active fires. These personnel and resources are expected to remain on scene until the projected containment date, July 20, 2012.
Arizona's Central West Zone team took command of the Cooks Complex fires on July 13th and anticipates turning management back to the Tonto National Forest on Tuesday, July 17, 2012. There have not been any injuries on the Cooks Complex fires.
Maps and information continue to be posted at the Black Canyon City Fire Department. The public may also get the most current information at: http://www.inciweb.org/ - click on Cooks.
Fire Start 1: (Cooks - 12 miles east of Black Canyon City, Az.)
· 80% Contained
· Date reported: Jul. 11, 2012, 1:18 p.m.
· Size 189 acres
· Resources: 1 Engine
· Summary: Firefighters are patrolling; no smoke was seen Sunday.
Fire Start 2: (Closest to New River)
· 40% Contained
· Date reported: July 11, 2012, 3:09 p.m.
· Size: 1,824 acres
· Resources committed:
· 1 Hotshot crew / 1 Engine
· Summary: Smoke was seen on Sunday in two different areas within this fire, burning in rough terrain and a remote section of the Tonto National Forest.
Fire Start 3: (Closet to Black Canyon City)
· 60% Contained
· Reported: July 11, 2012, 3:10 p.m.
· Size: 5,158 acres
· Resources committed:
· 1 Hotshot crew / 3 helicopters
· Summary: Smoke was seen Sunday with hot spots burning in the interior of this fire; there was no additional spread.