Mill Fire Evening Update July 17, 2012
Incident: Mill Fire Wildfire
July 17, 2012, 8:00 pm
Mill Fire Update
Summary: Fouts Springs and Goat Mountain Roads opened this evening to residents only. A reduced number of Firefighters and support personnel remain in the area working on fire line repair. Crews continue to patrol, assess and rehabilitate the fire area.
Voluntary evacuations and advisories for the Lakeview Loop, the west side of the Stonyford-Lodoga Road between Stonyford and Goat Mountain, and Century Ranch have been lifted.
The Stonyford Work Center is open from 8:00am to 4:30pm Tuesday through Saturday.
Archery season for deer hunting is open. A closure order remains in effect for the fire area. Hunters who traditionally visit the recreation area outside Stonyford, on the south central portion of the Grindstone Ranger District, will be affected by this closure. More information about archery season and other recreational activities can be found on the Mendocino National Forest website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/mendocino/.
Time/Date Started: July 7, 2012
Location: Mendocino National Forest, north and east of Letts Lake
Cause: Under investigation
Fuels: Timber, brush
Size: 29,502 acres
Structures Destroyed: 5 outbuildings
Estimated Containment Date: 07/18/2012
Resources Committed: Total personnel assigned= 651
Predicted Weather: The low-pressure system centered over northern California, which brought clouds, cooler temperatures and higher humidity, is expected to remain through Wednesday. Partly cloudy skies and light variable winds are expected.
· A closure order remains in effect for the Mendocino National Forest for all roads and trails in the recreation area outside Stonyford on the south central portion of the Grindstone Ranger District. The closure order can be found on the internet at: www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mendocino/alerts-notices.
· The Forest areas of Fouts Springs, Bonnie View, and Board Camp Springs and campgrounds within the Upper Letts Lake area remain closed.
· The Bureau of Reclamation has closed East Park Reservoir in Colusa County, about 100 miles northwest of Sacramento, California, to recreational activities due to safety concerns involving emergency vehicles operating in the area.
· The Fouts Spring Road (The M10 Road) will be open to residents tonight.
· The Goat Mountain Road will be open to residents tonight.