Mill Fire Morning Update July 17, 2012
Incident: Mill Fire Wildfire
July 17, 2012, 8:00 am
Mill Fire Update
Summary: Burning operations are complete and the fire has been successfully held above Goat Mountain Road. Today, one and a half miles of direct handline will be constructed near Gilmore Ridge to secure the fire's edge above the road. Crews will be staffing the area, watching for any spots and keeping fire activity in check. Firefighters will continue to secure containment lines around the entire fire perimeter, extinguish hot spots from the fire's edge, 300-500 feet inside the lines and patrol the incident.
Fire repair efforts have begun around the fire. Crews are assessing hand and dozer lines for repair and constructing waterbars to prevent erosion.
Voluntary evacuations and advisories for the Lakeview Loop, the west side of the Stonyford-Lodoga Road between Stonyford and Goat Mountain, and Century Ranch have been lifted. The Goat Mountain Road remains closed. Fire crews will be working on this narrow road and falling debris may make travel dangerous. Residents will be notified when operations are complete and the road is reopened.
The Stonyford Work Center is open from 8:00am to 4:30pm Tuesday through Saturday.
Archery season for deer hunting is open. A closure order remains in effect for the fire area. Hunters who traditionally visit the recreation area outside Stonyford, on the south central portion of the Grindstone Ranger District, will be affected by this closure. More information about archery season and other recreational activities can be found on the Mendocino National Forest website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/mendocino/.
The Mill Fire is in Unified Command with CAL FIRE, the Mendocino National Forest, and Northern California Incident Management Team 2.
Time/Date Started: July 7, 2012
Location: Mendocino National Forest, north and east of Letts Lake
Cause: Under investigation
Fuels: Timber, brush
Size: 29,552 acres
Structures Destroyed: 5 outbuildings
Estimated Containment Date: 07/18/2012
Resources Committed: Total personnel assigned= 965
Predicted Weather: A low-pressure system centered over northern California today will bring clouds, cooler temperatures and higher humidity. This system is not expected to bring rainfall to the fire area. Partly cloudy skies and light variable winds are expected
· A closure order remains in effect for the Mendocino National Forest for all roads and trails in the recreation area outside Stonyford on the south central portion of the Grindstone Ranger District. The closure order can be found on the internet at: www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mendocino/alerts-notices.
· The Bureau of Reclamation has closed East Park Reservoir in Colusa County, about 100 miles northwest of Sacramento, California, to recreational activities due to safety concerns which include air quality and emergency vehicles operating in the area.
· Evacuations are in effect for the areas of Fouts Springs, Bonnie View, and Board Camp Springs and campgrounds within the Upper Letts Lake area.
· The Fouts Spring Road (The M10 Road) is closed at Stonyford.
· The Goat Mountain Road is closed at the Stonyford Lodoga Road.
· There is a public meeting scheduled for Wednesday night at 7:00pm at the Stonyford Grange.