More Areas Within The Whitewater Baldy Area Open
Incident: Whitewater Baldy Complex Wildfire
Due to recent rain showers and the Whitewater-Baldy Fire Complex at 95% containment, effective on July 14, 2012, at 6:00 a.m. MDT, the Gila National Forest opened another portion of the closure within the burnt area.
The western part of the Gila Wilderness remains closed. Snow Lake and Dipping Vat Campground, a popular recreation area, is open for camping and fishing. The Middle Fork of the Gila is also open for recreational use and hiking. Forest and Wilderness visitors must remain vigilant to potentially dangerous situations. Stump holes, falling trees and rising waters may be encountered. Stay informed on current and expected weather conditions and always leave a trip itinerary with a dependable contact that is aware of your location and schedule.
Description of areas that remain closed:
· Within the boundaries of the Gila Wilderness on the Glenwood and Wilderness Ranger Districts (RD) west and north of a line described as: Forest Trail (FT) 151 from Willow Creek Trailhead southerly to White Creek Cabin, FT 155 from White Creek Cabin southerly to the junction with FT 158, Forest Trail 158 from the junction with FT 155 southwest to Mogollon Creek and junction with FT 301, FT 301 westerly along Mogollon Creek to the junction with FT 153, Trail 153 southerly to the 74 Mountain Trailhead and the Wilderness Boundary. NOTE: Trails 153, 155, 158 and 301 are open for public use but the areas north and west of these trails is closed.
· On the Glenwood and Reserve RDs, the area on the south side of Bursum Road and Forest Road (FR) 28 to the Wilderness Boundary between Deloche FT 179 and Gilita FT 157.
· On the Glenwood RD, the area north of Bursum Road at the head of Mineral Creek bounded by Log Canyon FT 808 northeast to Mineral Creek FT 201 thence west to Red Canyon FT 198 northeast to Copper Creek FR 119 thence easterly to Bearwallow Mountain to the junction with FR 153, thence southeast along FR 153 to the Bursum Rd. NOTE: Log Cabin FT 808, Red Canyon FT198, and the Copper Creek FR 119 are open for public use but not the area to the south and east of these trails and road. Roads closed
· Forest Road (FR) 28 from the junction of FR 142 (Snow Lake Road) and Catron County Road C-021 are closed to Willow Creek
· Forest Road (FR) 507 is closed · FR 155 from the end of Grant County Road 2-24 to the wilderness boundary is closed
· Gilita Campground (28E) Trails closed: · FT 814 is closed · FT 151 is closed from Willow Creek Trailhead to White Creek Cabin & from White Creek Cabin southeast to the junction with Forest Trail 28 · Mineral Creek FT 201 is closed · Deloche FT 179 is closed
· Gilita Creek FT 157 from the trailhead near Willow Creek, easterly to the Middle Fork of the Gila River, just below Snow Lake NM 159 (Bursum Road) remains closed by the N.M. Department of Transportation and the Catwalk National Recreation Trail, Glenwood RD, remain closed.
The initial area closure for the fire complex went into effect on May 25, 2012, due to the growing fire activity, very high fire danger, and concerns for public and firefighter safety. On June 30th, the eastern part of the area closure was opened.
For additional information, please call 575-388-8201.