Gladiator Fire - May 31, 2012
Incident: Gladiator Wildfire
May 31, 2012
Size: Approximately 16,240 acres
Cause: Human caused; originated from a structure fire on private property
Cost: $14 million
Terrain: Steep, rugged, brushy with very difficult access
Resources: 1 Type-2 Crew; 7 Engines; 1 Water Tender; 1 Dozer; 1 Type 3 Helicopter
Total no. of personnel: 115 personnel Injuries to date: 8 Structures destroyed: 6
NOTE: The Next Release Will Be On Monday, June 4
Insignificant fire behavior was observed as crews continue to patrol and mop-up. As small pockets of fuels continue to smolder some smoke will be visible in the community of Crown King and Pine Flat.
Drive Slow! Expect Delays!
Firefighters and equipment are actively working in the area!
County Road 59 into Crown King is open to the public. Visitors are reminded to be cautious, slow-down and drive defensively. Be aware of your surroundings, heavy equipment along roadways, fire equipment and 4-wheelers in the community.
Forest Closure Remains in Effect
This closure includes the Forest Service land south of the following on the Bradshaw Ranger District: Beginning at the southwest corner, Township 12 North, Range 3 West, Section 33; south of River Pasture, along Forest Road 72 west to FS Road 667, following Middlewater Creek to the south of Maverick Mountain, east to Forest Road 9403C and onto Forest Road 52B connecting to the Senator Highway (County Road 56). Senator Highway east continuing to FS Road 261 east of Mount Union Lookout towards County Road 58 through Breezy Pines, extending to Poland Junction.
- Forest lands and roads past Crown King remain closed including road 52 to the Horsethief Basin area.
- Pine Flat and Turkey Creek is open to full-time residents and property owners.
- Senator Highway to Crown King (County Road 56) is closed at the junction with Poland Rd. (County Road 58).
- Mayer-Goodwin Road (County Road 177) is closed at the Forest Boundary.
- Forest Road 711 is closed south of the Forest boundary at Cow Creek.
- Forest Road 362 is closed south of the Forest boundary at Wagoner.
- Forest Road 192 is closed.
A Yavapai County fire ban is in effect across all fire ban zones. Prescott National Forest Campfire and Smoking Restrictions are also in effect. For AZ Fire Info & Restrictions Information call 1-877-864-6985 or visit http://wildlandfire.az.gov/.
The public can obtain fire information via the following: