Easter Complex Fire Update, April 16, 2012
Incident: Easter Complex Wildfire
Current acreage: 33,929 acres, 65% contained
Continued progress is expected on all fires today within the Easter Complex. Wolf Gap, Shipwreck, Alleghany Tunnels, and Porter Mills fires all have containment lines in place. Improvements to these lines will continue to be made, and these fires are in a patrol, mop up, and hold status.
Significant progress was made on Sunday on both the Barbours Creek and Rich Hole fires. Containment lines on both fires are complete, and additional burnout operations will continue today to strengthen and improve these lines. Burnout operations are utilized to remove unburned fuel between the fire and established containment lines.
Smoke from burnout operations on the Barbours Creek and Rich Hole Fires will be visible for some time. Aerial support will also continue with bucket drops and reconnaissance missions. Favorable weather conditions will once again contribute to slowing down these fires.
The following is a summary of all Easter Complex Fires:
· Alleghany Tunnels Fire: 11,381 acres, 85% containment.
· Barbours Creek Fire: 4,783 acres, 40% containment.
· Porter Mills: 879 acres, 95% containment
· Rich Hole Fire: 12,131 acres, 30% containment.
· Shipwreck Fire: 4,000 acres, 100% containment.
· Wolf Gap: 755 acres, 95% containment.
For additional information on the Easter Complex, visit http://www.inciweb.org/, or call:
(404) 354-6005 or (540) 525-1539
- Alleghany Tunnels Fire: Alan Craft - (540) 958 - 2212
- Barbours Creek Fire: Barb Walker - (540) 577 - 9334
- Porter Mills Fire: Michael Williams - (540) 525 - 1539
- Rich Hole Fire: Karen Grubbs - (540) 958 - 2181
- Shipwreck Fire: Michael Williams - (540) 525 - 1539
- Wolf Gap Fire: Stephanie Bushong (540) 984 - 4101
Assigned to Complex:
16 Hand Crews
Blue Team- Mike Wilkins
Cooperators: Virginia Department of Forestry, Virginia Department of Transportation, Virginia State Police, various county resources, numerous local and county law enforcement agencies and volunteer fire departments.
Closures: The George Washington and Jefferson National Forests have issued closure orders that remain in effect for areas surrounding the Easter Complex Wildfires. Visit the Forest Website to view maps and closure order documents.
Homeowners are encouraged to visit http://www.firewise.org/ for information on how to make their homes more defensible from wildfires. In addition, Ready, Set, Go http://www.wildlandfirersg.org/ is another good website for homeowners living in or near the forest.