Easter Complex Fire Update, April 15,2012
Incident: Easter Complex Wildfire
Easter Complex Fire Update
Current acreage: 25,501 acres, 63% contained
Today's weather conditions will contribute to continued progress on all fires within the Easter Complex. Normal temperatures and low wind speed will allow for burnout operations to continue, which should allow for containment numbers to increase.
Good progress was made on Saturday on both the Wolf Gap and Shipwreck fires, with little to no smoke remaining in these areas. Resources increased control lines on the Allegheny Tunnels, Rich Hole and the Barbours Creek fires by securing roads and conducting burnout operations.
Resources will continue to construct control lines, and burnout operations are planned for Barbours Creek today. Smoke from the Barbours Creek burnout will be visible for some time. Aerial support will also continue with bucket drops and reconnaissance missions. Mopup and patrol will take place on contained perimeters of fires within the complex. The Southern Area Blue Team has taken over management of the 879 acre Porter Mills Fire near Warm Springs, VA. Minimal fire activity is expected on this fire.
The following is a summary of all Easter Complex Fires:
· Alleghany Tunnels Fire: 9,295 acres, 80% containment.
· Barbours Creek Fire: 3,970 acres, 30% containment.
· Porter Mills: 879, 90% containment
· Rich Hole Fire: 6,492 acres, 25% containment.
· Shipwreck Fire: 4,000 acres, 100% containment.
· Wolf Gap: 865 acres, 95% containment.
For additional information on the Easter Complex, visit http://www.inciweb.org/, or call:
(404) 354-6005 or (540) 525-1539
- Alleghany Tunnels Fire: Alan Craft - (540) 958 - 2212
- Barbours Creek Fire: Barb Walker - (540) 577 - 9334
- Porter Mills Fire: Michael Williams - (540) 525 - 1539
- Rich Hole Fire: Karen Grubbs - (540) 958 - 2181
- Shipwreck Fire: Cindy Frenzel - (540) 333 - 3784
- Wolf Gap Fire: Stephanie Bushong (540) 984 - 4101
Assigned to Complex:
15 Hand Crews
Blue Team- Mike Wilkins
Cooperators: Virginia Department of Forestry, Virginia Department of Transportation, Virginia State Police, various county resources, numerous local and county law enforcement agencies and volunteer fire departments.
Closures: The George Washington and Jefferson National Forests have issued closure orders, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, for areas surrounding the Easter Complex Wildfires. Visit the Forest Website to view maps and closure order documents.
Homeowners are encouraged to visit http://www.firewise.org/ for information on how to make their homes more defensible from wildfires. In addition, Ready, Set, Go http://www.wildlandfirersg.org/ is another good website for homeowners living in or near the forest.